Pinocchio has been a friend of Ireland AM for many years. We would like to share the recipes Giuseppe Crupi, director of the Pinocchio Italian Cookery School, prepared live on the program to show how to embrace traditional dishes.
The recipe of the day is: Oven Baked Aubergine Rolls.
Serves 6 people
400 gr peeled tomatoes
grated parmesan cheese
3 vine tomatoes
- Fry the finely sliced onion in extra virgin olive oil over a low flame until they became translucent.
- Add peeled tomatoes and some basil leaves
- Simmer until all water is absorbed and the color of the sauce is dark orange (about 20 min.)
- Cut the aubergines into 5mm-thick slices
- Put them on an oven tray with a drizzle of olive oil and cook gently (150 degrees) till they are soft (or dip each slice into egg beaten and deep fry in seed oil)
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Place a basil leaf and a piece of mozzarella cheese and a little piece of fresh tomato on the narrower part of the slice
- Roll it tight
- Place each roll in an oven tray
- Spoon some sauce on the bottom of the tray and on the roll.
- Cook in the oven at 180° degrees
- When the cheese starts to melt, take it out of the oven
- Serve with a basil leave and some parmesan cheese on top